Monday, August 4, 2008

Breaking leases

A very concerned mom asks:


I have a 22-year-old son attending college out of the area. At the beginning
of last semester, without my knowledge or approval, my son decided to give
notice and move out of his college dormitory. He has rented an apartment near
campus on a 12-month lease with some other students.

I recently met his roommates and was unimpressed and do not like the environment that he is now living in. I want to know how I can break the lease and get him to move back on campus. His grades are slipping, and I believe that he might even be suicidal. Is this justification to break the lease and get a full refund of his security deposit?

Mom, grow up. Why should the landlord care if you approve or not? Since your son is over 18 and signed his lease, the landlord has every right to collect his rent. Unless you can show that your son was not mentally competent when he signed the lease (and "might even be suicidal" does not qualify as mentally competent), you have no business trying to break a lease.

No comments: