Tuesday, August 19, 2008

An idiot's commentary/question on swimming

This is the first comment in a Washington Post blog post about the Olympics:


I don't get the hype over Michael Phelps. He keeps getting medals for THE SAME SPORT!!! He is NOT the greates (sic) olympian. He is competing in the SAME SPORT against the SAME OPPONENTS. Why would anyone expect the result to be any differnent (sic)? While their at it why not add 3 more swimming events and let him collect more meaningless gold? Phelps or ANY athlete should only be eligible for ONE medal in the same sport. Gymnists have to master many pieces of equipment to be eligible for multiple medals. Swimming is just swimming.

Either this guy is a troll or he is one of the stupidest people on the planet. Even a non-swimmer such as myself is well aware that freestyle, breaststroke, butterfly, and backstroke are completely different and require different skill sets.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for liking Genesis. That rules. I kind of agree on Phelps, too. I talk about him in my most recent post on my blog. I'm pretty much joking, but I was getting sort of annoyed at the end, too.

Chris said...

Whoops. I didn't read the whole thing. Darn. That guy is a tool, thinking all those strokes are the same.

I guess the annoying thing for me, now that I think about it, was the constant panning to Phelp's mom in the stands. Does he even have a dad?

King Al said...

The Peter Gabriel era was totally awesome.

Yeah, I wonder if he's now complaining about Usain Bolt. He would have more of a case there (though it would still not be accurate.)

I believe his parents divorced years ago, and he hasn't had contact with his dad recently.